Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA) is an excepted authority that allows agencies, to appoint eligible veterans without competition. If you:
• Are in receipt of a campaign badge for service during a war or in a campaign or expedition; OR
• Are a disabled veteran, OR
• Are in receipt of an Armed forces Service Medal for participation in a military operation, OR
• Are a recently separated veteran (within the last 3 years), AND
• Separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge), you are VRA eligible.
You can be appointed under this authority at any grade level up to and including a GS-11 or equivalent. This is an excepted service appointment. After successfully completing 2 years, you will be converted to the competitive service. Veterans' preference applies when using the VRA authority.
Agencies can also use VRA to fill temporary (not to exceed 1 year) or term (more than 1 year but not to exceed 4 years) positions. If you are employed in a temporary or term position under VRA, you will not be converted to the competitive service after 2 years.
There is no limit to the number of times you can apply under VRA.
You must provide acceptable documentation of your preference or appointment eligibility. The member 4 copy of your DD214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," is preferable. If claiming 10 point preference, you will need to submit a Standard Form (SF-15 [152 KB]), "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference."